League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 2020 Playoffs

By kicker10bog
5/07/2018 4:57 pm
I agree. And I also understand MFN isn't able to produce a real simulation. We're playing EFL, not NFL nor NCAA. Heh, my team is the Wampas. I just don't see an issue with playing the game as effectively as possible unless rules are in place to stop it.

I think league rules should be proposed if we want to try to simulate the NFL as closely as possible. That's what we try to do in a Madden league I play in. I would not be against rules outlawing QB rotation and limiting blitzing.

By Infinity on Trial
5/07/2018 5:02 pm
I want to reiterate that my opposition to exploiting an AI flaw should in no way be construed as an argument for "realism," and I don't see "it's not real anyway" as a viable excuse for rotating QBs. If there were no advantage, knock yourself out.

By kicker10bog
5/07/2018 5:21 pm
I did not say or imply it was realistic, just that I don't see a problem with playing the game to its full effectiveness as league rules allow.

I think it's extremely unrealistic, just like blitzing 80% (or close to it) is extremely unrealistic. I'm having trouble finding an NFL team that breaks 50%. There's probably some past teams that broke 50% and they just aren't recorded or popping up in my search. That's a realism issue.

Man coverage is similar. I'm pretty sure no NFL team plays as much man as we do on MFN. That's a realism issue.

Just because it's near impossible to win without using man coverage and blitzing a ton, they seem to get a pass that QB rotation doesn't. (See what I did there? a "pass")

By Infinity on Trial
5/07/2018 5:33 pm
I repeat: Your "this isn't real" excuse doesn't justify rotating QBs.

By kicker10bog
5/07/2018 5:39 pm
Ok, then why are the others ok? I see them as just as big realism issues as rotating QBs. They provide an even bigger advantage to winning than QB rotation and still seem to be not an issue for you.

By Infinity on Trial
5/07/2018 6:38 pm
kicker10bog wrote:
I'm pretty sure no NFL team plays as much man as we do on MFN. That's a realism issue.

Real or not doesn't justify any behavior in this game, but I want to note this isn't true. There are teams like the Chiefs that play exclusively m2m coverage. Other teams show you a cover 2 (Patriots) or cover 3 (Seahawks) shell but effectively play m2m out of the alignment.

PFF is the only outfit I'm aware of that looks at how often teams blitz. The league leaders tend to be in the 50% range, but they have a curious way of defining a "blitz," which is an unexpected rusher. In other words, 3-4 teams who send both OLBs don't count as a blitz. If they did, the percentage would be much higher.

By Infinity on Trial
5/07/2018 6:39 pm
kicker10bog wrote:
Ok, then why are the others ok? I see them as just as big realism issues as rotating QBs. They provide an even bigger advantage to winning than QB rotation and still seem to be not an issue for you.

Because they don't exploit an AI problem.

By kicker10bog
5/07/2018 6:43 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Because they don't exploit an AI problem.

So, your issue isn't realism than. It's exploiting an AI problem that it takes no special skill to exploit. I see.

By kicker10bog
5/07/2018 7:07 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Real or not doesn't justify any behavior in this game, but I want to note this isn't true. There are teams like the Chiefs that play exclusively m2m coverage. Other teams show you a cover 2 (Patriots) or cover 3 (Seahawks) shell but effectively play m2m out of the alignment.

Yes, there are teams that do play that way. The whole league doesn't, like we do here. I concede this point though.

Infinity on Trial wrote:
PFF is the only outfit I'm aware of that looks at how often teams blitz. The league leaders tend to be in the 50% range, but they have a curious way of defining a "blitz," which is an unexpected rusher. In other words, 3-4 teams who send both OLBs don't count as a blitz. If they did, the percentage would be much higher.

I've always considered a blitz to be 5+ rushers. Unless we get into zone blitzing, which is inconsequential here because it's rare to see on MFN. That's the definition I see the most.

By CrazyRazor
5/07/2018 8:14 pm
billstein wrote:
Good game CrazyRazor/Salem... I knew it was gonna be a long day after your 1st play from scrimmage.
Good luck the rest of the way.
Got to go lick my wounds now, and try to figure out the next steps for this team.

GG billstein. You had the unfortunate opportunity to play me 3 times this season. I certainly didn't expect to end the game before halftime. I guess you could take the fact that you won the 2nd half as a silver lining. :/
Thanks for wishing me luck! I'm probably gonna need it.