League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 2019 Season Game Thread

By kicker10bog
2/26/2018 11:14 am
GrandadB wrote:

That is correct k10, your starter is fatigued, what do you set your fatigue at? I know most everyone would prefer to run one QB all game, like in RL, but.... the fatigue on a QB in RL and the fatigue on a QB in MFN are not the same, not even close. That is why there is a lot of frustration with the lack of consistency with the QB position, whether you have a 90+ rated QB or a 60 rated QB. Until JDB gets it right with the code & algorithms to better simulate RL NFL football, you gotta play with what is there, if you want to win.

Fatigue isnt the only factor that significantly affects QB performance, pass rush pressure, secondary coverage, and play calls all have a part in it. If you take the time to read posts on the subject in both the gen forum and MFN 1 Beta Chat, you will gain a lot more knowledge and understanding about how QBs along with all the other positions work along with what plays are advantages & disadvantages. By doing so, you can accelerate the process of becoming a GM that can manage a team to the LC and have a high winning %. cheers, gdb

I think I had it at 30 or 35 for QB. I've lowered it since. I actually already knew that was thee problem but hate that issue with MFN as I see it a 'unsim'. In the NCAA league I have it set to 17 so all three of my QBs get playing time and they have been putting up points, but they're all bad QBs and still throw a lot of INTs.

Pressure shouldn't be affecting Gonzalez that much with his 99 scrambling and 93 pass release. I also think it's rather silly how big of a role scrambling skill plays when throwing under pressure. (At least it used to and I suspect it still does.) I was in MFN1 for a long time but I started neglecting that team and not giving good input, so I left so someone else could. I do occasionally check its forums though.

By Dash
2/26/2018 12:24 pm
kicker10bog wrote:
I also think it's rather silly how big of a role scrambling skill plays when throwing under pressure. (At least it used to and I suspect it still does.)

I think it's actually Max Speed, not scrambling that avoids pressure and makes the QB move out of the pocket. as much as that seems like it should be the scrambling skill..i've heard it is not from some legitimate sources

By kicker10bog
2/26/2018 12:36 pm
Dash wrote:
I think it's actually Max Speed, not scrambling that avoids pressure and makes the QB move out of the pocket. as much as that seems like it should be the scrambling skill..i've heard it is not from some legitimate sources

I remember reading somewhere that scrambling skill is what determines if a QB is good throwing under pressure. Speed helps ESCAPE pressure. Scramble skill tells him when to escape pressure and also makes him better at throwing while under pressure. That's how I understand it anyways.

By Dash
2/26/2018 12:43 pm
I mean..

Take NCAA QB Rodney Williams of Cal Bears for instance. he was sacked a league high 112 times last season..while still completing 54% of his throws. max speed is 44 scrambling skill is 21. so take that for whatever its worth :D

But i agree whole-heartedly its extreme difficult to distinguish what scrambling skills intended purpose is.

By kicker10bog
2/26/2018 12:50 pm
He also has 93 pass release and 79 acceleration. ... Maybe there's been a shift to using more realistic attributes for throwing under pressure. Or maybe the RNG is just crazy. Who knows!? lol

By trslick
2/26/2018 1:21 pm
GG Arkansas, close once more!

By raymattison21
2/26/2018 2:56 pm
kicker10bog wrote:
Dash wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that scrambling skill is what determines if a QB is good throwing under pressure. Speed helps ESCAPE pressure. Scramble skill tells him when to escape pressure and also makes him better at throwing while under pressure. That's how I understand it anyways.

Re: Scrambling / Rushing QB's
By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/13/2015 7:13 pm
The scrambling ability is really the QB's likelihood to leave the pocket and further to scramble instead of throw the ball away. A low scramble skill really just means more of a pocket passer. The scrambling skill is one that you may just want to turn off in your weights if you don't care about that style of quarterback. It doesn't translate to another position, so you can either value a Russell Wilson style QB or ignore that attribute altogether

By kicker10bog
2/26/2018 3:32 pm
raymattison21 wrote:
Re: Scrambling / Rushing QB's
By jdavidbakr - Site Admin
1/13/2015 7:13 pm
The scrambling ability is really the QB's likelihood to leave the pocket and further to scramble instead of throw the ball away. A low scramble skill really just means more of a pocket passer. The scrambling skill is one that you may just want to turn off in your weights if you don't care about that style of quarterback. It doesn't translate to another position, so you can either value a Russell Wilson style QB or ignore that attribute altogether

Hmm.... I don't know then. I do remember reading that it affected throwing under pressure somewhere. ... Ah, here it is:

setherick wrote:
QB
Attributes: Accuracy (100); Speed (66); Look Off, Field of Vision, Scrambling (33)
Analysis: Why speed over scrambling? Easy. Scrambling helps mitigate a passing accuracy penalty for throwing on the move. Speed can completely negate a penalty for being under pressure. Fast QBs can scramble out of pressure, set their feet, and throw without coming back under pressure. Or they can take off running and still pick up positive yards.

Emphasis added. This is from Setherick's revised weights. It's not a JDB quote, but it is a year newer the one you posted and by someone who clearly studied how the game works. He does say speed is more important though, for reasons already mentioned here, but I'm finding that to be less true now. In my experience, the scrambling skill is the one that has the greatest effect on throws when the QB is under pressure. Gonzalez is a bit of an outlier this season, his first with a somewhat bad TD:INT ratio.
https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/community/3/2443?page=1

One other thing is that QBs with high scrambling skill seem to take fewer sacks as well. This can be seen in the stats for my QBs in NCAA this season.
https://ncaa-football.myfootballnow.com/team/23

Edit:
Just saw this, even newer quote:
setherick wrote:
Gustoon wrote:
High scramble also impacts accuracy. High scramble + acceleration and a moderate amount of speed can make an ordinary QB a bit more special.

This. Specifically, Scramble helps mitigate the "Under Pressure" penalty. I've also noticed that high Break Tackle is causing defenders to "bounce" off QB's more.

https://mfn1.myfootballnow.com/community/3/3713?page=1#26077
Last edited at 2/26/2018 3:34 pm

By raymattison21
2/26/2018 4:11 pm
I think you are correct , but think of this game in general . When a player has the ball what ratings are needed to avoid defenders . It's alot but there are most important and so on. Same goes for avoiding pressure .

When dealing with scramble think of it as more chances to throw from a different spot. Or opportunities to reposition the pocket and throw .

So many reasons a guy can take a sack. My latest patterns involve intelligence actually playing a larger role than I ever thought before.

And speed is not always a good thing for a qb....cause when throwing on the run.....the faster you are traveling the more likely the pass will not be as accurate .

Scramble , along with other ratings will allow to set your feet more often or quickly to ensure an accurate throw. As a fast qb with low scramble along with lower accuracy might not be too consistent throwning while under pressure