League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Welcome to all the new owners, EFL update, and new plan

By GrandadB - League Admin
10/23/2017 11:26 am
Well, not that I really wanted to, but I guess the only way to get the league going was for jdb to change the commish spot, so will see what I can do. I promise you all one thing, I will never leave the league or game w/o letting everyone know and making arrangements for the league to continue on without a hitch. Also, we can now set this league up the way we want, so any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, etc. you may have, now is the time to post them in this thread.
Two of the most commented on subjects for the league were how players would be selected for removal from their respective rosters for "moving up to the NFL", and the league schedule, which was too slow for most. The idea was to have a league that resembled a "semi-pro" league that was a feeder to the NFL. I dont think its a good idea, especially in the first 2-3 seasons to have to replace strong starters. Very, very few players make it to the NFL from the semi-pro leagues, same as from the Canadian FL, so losing 2 or 3 players per season is way out of line with RL. What happens in semi-pro is that most players have very short careers, as you cant afford to live on the salaries or income at that level. We dont have to try to make it like the semi-pros as, IMHO, it will be too difficult to deal with how we do free agency and retirement. My suggestion is to set up closer to most of the custom leagues, with an interesting twist or two to differentiate it along with adding a "fun" factor to it, if that can be done. First thing is to finish out the season and have the Super Bowl. Unless there is any objection, Im shortening the off season, 3 weeks of early FA, 2 weeks of late FA, and 2 pre-season games. So, let me know what you would like to have in this league and lets see how the majority feel. all the best & cheers, gdb
Last edited at 10/23/2017 11:30 am

By raymattison21
10/23/2017 12:24 pm
How about four preseason games but no mid week

By eyeballll
10/24/2017 12:19 am
Thanks for taking over Grandad, it's an awesome thing to do! I think Coach made a mess of things, but I really like the helmets he made for the teams. The teams all have an identity now, and it possible I'd like to see that stay the same. There are some of the most unique and original team names in MFN...

10/24/2017 1:45 am
eyeballll wrote:
Thanks for taking over Grandad, it's an awesome thing to do! I think Coach made a mess of things, but I really like the helmets he made for the teams. The teams all have an identity now, and it possible I'd like to see that stay the same. There are some of the most unique and original team names in MFN...

Thanks eyeball, and I agree. How did he do the helmets? with photo shop or similar? Maybe there is a football helmet design site, lol.
Last edited at 10/24/2017 11:17 am

10/24/2017 11:10 am
Well, so far, not a lot of input, lol. Do you guys want to keep the "player promotion" aspect of the league? My thought or preference on it would be that only the LC, runner-up/Conf Champ, and next 4 div champs with the best records would lose one or two top players to free agency. That would foster a little more parity and present more of a challenge to teams/owners that have strong won/loss records in both this league and others. This would go into effect after the second season, so I dont screw myself, lol. just kidding. So, let me know, or maybe the best way to decide would be to do a poll, which I havnt done before, so if you know how, let me know or help me out with it. cheers, gdb

Last edited at 10/24/2017 11:11 am

By kicker10bog
10/24/2017 2:32 pm
Glad to see someone (not me) takeover. And all the new owners! Welcome!

As for the player promotion, I'm ok with whatever. I think GDB's idea makes sense and is a good place to at least start, if not end.

By Mcarovil
10/25/2017 2:26 pm
I posted in the wrong forum. I think. Anyway. All for the shorten league schedule. I'd also like the draft sped up too if possible. An idea of playoff teams having to give up a player or two at the end of season sounds interesting. Maybe just one, of their choosing that is rated 85 or better. Honestly I just want an active league. Everything else is gravy.

By straw18
10/25/2017 4:08 pm
in favor of ....
1/ a regular season game every 24 hrs
2/ top six teams required to release 2 top
players to free agency...imagine the bidding wars !
3/ reduce # of rounds of free agency

10/25/2017 5:04 pm
Good input comin in, keep it comin! Would like to get the top ideas and suggestions and put it to a poll vote, and will go into effect for the following season unless I can get them in early enough to affect the FA period, draft schedule, etc. As far as the top teams having to cut a couple of top players at the end of the season, that wont happen until the 3rd season Im thinking. Plus, a rookie is not to be considered until he has at least 3 seasons in with the team? One issue I see is that if you want to increase parity or competitive balance, you dont want the playoff teams having access to top players from other teams, so playoff teams would need to be excluded from the early FA period? Throwin out thoughts, ideas, & considerations here.

By Dash
10/25/2017 5:56 pm
GrandadB wrote:
Good input comin in, keep it comin! Would like to get the top ideas and suggestions and put it to a poll vote, and will go into effect for the following season unless I can get them in early enough to affect the FA period, draft schedule, etc. As far as the top teams having to cut a couple of top players at the end of the season, that wont happen until the 3rd season Im thinking. Plus, a rookie is not to be considered until he has at least 3 seasons in with the team? One issue I see is that if you want to increase parity or competitive balance, you dont want the playoff teams having access to top players from other teams, so playoff teams would need to be excluded from the early FA period? Throwin out thoughts, ideas, & considerations here.

Yes the cutting process would need regulations and limits..i feel like it should be (as macrovil suggested) be by Rating and some ideas..

SB Champs & Conference Champs give up 2 players.

All playoff teams with 11 or more wins(excluding CC Champs) give up 1 player.

Said player needs to have 3 yrs exp? Or 3 years with team?

Any non-playoff team would have access to these cut players regardless of win total (ie. 11-5 miss playoffs via tiebreaker)
Last edited at 10/25/2017 5:59 pm