League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: New Season

By GrandadB - League Admin
12/25/2023 5:13 pm
Diversity rules, there are only 3 that you need and they are in your FAVOR.

You dont want a GL defense against a medium or short pass play out of the 221, 122, or especially the 311 offensive personnel. You also dont want to have a GL offensive play on first and 10 or long yardage situations. This is also common to RL football. So, you have a rule that prevents the GL defense from being used in other the GL or 0-1 yard to go situations. You should also have a rule that prevents the GL offense from being used in other than the same situations.

You should not want the Nickel called exclusively vs the 3 wr offense personnel. The reason is that runs out of both the 113 and 23wr personnel do real well vs the Nickel, especially plays like the HB Counter Weak. That is a game flaw that we are countering with the Non-Auto Nickel rule. The Nickel may still be called, but it is not exclusive.

Other than that, its easy as **** to get diversity. You pick all the plays possible, you make your offense and defense sliders all equal, other than GL and Blitz 2+.

If you do what is described above, you should get the same play use results that loanblood & others have been getting, 20 or more defense plays used, and 30 or more offense, with no play used more than 6 times.

If we wanted more diversity, we would set it up to increase the use of the least used personnel and coverages. The purpose of it all was to get more of a RL football simulation as opposed to only using plays with consistent favorable outcomes, which were less than 10 defenses and 20 offense. Makes watching a game more boring than not. And it makes it more challenging to play than everyone using the same "Optimum 4.6" approach.
Last edited at 12/25/2023 5:13 pm

By Gscorpio
12/26/2023 3:30 am
GG bulldogs

12/27/2023 1:10 pm
GG ccn/Marauders, looked like we got good diversity in a low scoring mostly defensive game.

Crusaders .... 31 offensive plays used. 21 defensive plays used, 1 play called 15 times/4.5 avg,, way out of norm, was the Nickel, Man Zone, 3 deep man secondary and zone LB. No change in settings from last game so there must have been an auto trigger? will look over play logs for the game.

Edit : after looking at the play logs, the Nickel was "auto'd" vs the 113 & 23wr personnel, I did not have the Non Nickel Auto rule in place, good example of why you want to have that as one of 3 key rules for diversity.
Last edited at 12/27/2023 10:00 pm

By trslick
12/27/2023 1:45 pm
GG Americans

By Redneckgopher
12/27/2023 1:48 pm
GG Voodoo

O=30
D=27

By Vikings_Fan
12/28/2023 7:27 am
GG Bulldogs. Well played.

By casualcnote
12/28/2023 8:18 am
GG Grandad - You shut my offense down really good.

O = 29
D = 23

12/29/2023 12:49 pm
GG Rialto/Wild, your offense was lights out in the 3rd qtr, thought it might turn into a tight comeback game.

By Phaldun
12/29/2023 3:31 pm
Good game Snappers. Too close and low scoring. I'm horrible when we need to do this extra diversity thing. I was already using balanced diversity, but now I might not even make the playoffs.

O: 29
D: 20

12/29/2023 4:45 pm
Phaldun wrote:
Good game Snappers. Too close and low scoring. I'm horrible when we need to do this extra diversity thing. I was already using balanced diversity, but now I might not even make the playoffs.

O: 29
D: 20

My hope is that the "diversity" is taken out of the owners hands in the next or future game versions. Same as the roster automatically corrects itself if you have too many players or a salary cap overage. The Ai will step in and correct a mistake or oversight. You would required to select 40/30, and at least one play from all personnel and coverages. If you dont have a play selected from one or more, the AI coach steps in a corrects it. Would also be great if the coaches had more to do with the game than just the playbook and having a full staff for TC. Their attributes mean nothing at this point, would make it much more interesting and important for the coaches to be equally as important as your players, same as in RL. What we are trying to achieve with the current diversity rules is a game in between "4.6 Optimum" and Roster Only. One where you might be able to complete a long pass play without getting sacked more than half the time. One where you dont keep seeing the same plays used more than 10 times in a game. Along with rosters that are more comparable to RL rosters as opposed to dominated by WRs and CBs to gain a speed advantage. There are those who prefer to find advantages in computer games and pound them to death, for a variety of egoistic and self esteem related issues, whether or not it has an relation to the simulation of RL football.