League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Suggestions/Ideas for League rules and regs

By GrandadB - League Admin
10/26/2017 10:49 am
raymattison21 wrote:
Not that I would win or go to the superbowl , but no player on my team was an 80 or above. I think the game is in a place where defaults are a waste at certain positions . Dbs are are top commodity and they are really the ones that keep a team in it.

Losing a 99 rated te or lb might not be as bad as a 80 rated db or qb . Right now overloaded teams at wr and db are almost a lock to do well

Appreciate your input and thoughts ray. I totally agree about player default values, and I dont agree that a player produces good stats primarily because of the system or other players involved on his team. I have picked up many good FA's based on a review of their career stats, combined with heavily weighted key attributes. Not based on their overall or default value. I have a TE on my team in the NFLFL, his default value is 67, my weights have him at 75. His trade value is only 178. He caught the most passes on my team and was the only TE in the entire league to make the first page (top 40) of receivers. Basically, he was the All Pro TE of the league. I drafted him in the 30th round of the allocation draft, I needed a TE to fill out the roster. OK, so that is not a common result for a sub 80 player, but there is no way I could trade that TE and get anywhere near his "true" value. When I look at a player in a trade, or a free agent, I always check their stats, after the key attributes. So, being the Conf Champ, I would be looking at losing one or two players, should that TE be considered as a potential cut?

As far as the system affecting a players performance, sure, it can, but in the case of my TE, I run basically the same system and approach for all 11 of my current teams, it doesnt vary much as those of you who have been or are in leagues with me can attest. I have 90+ default rated players that do not produce anywhere near as well statistically as players rated 20 points or lower are. It varies by position also. QB is all over the place, RBs are primarily speed based, WRs are fairly consistent depending on key atts, OL is very consistent, and all defense is pretty consistent when you have a high default value combined with 80+ speed. At least, that is what I have experienced and seen so far in the game.

So, that is one of the problems and challenges of objectively selecting players to be cut by the top teams. How can you do it objectively and fairly when there is always going to be a debate about how much weight you give to 1. default value, 2. key attributes, and 3. stats. and maybe a 4. trade value. And there is also the difference in value of the position. For example, a 95 rated OL who allowed less than 3 sacks in over 1100 plays vs a 85 rated WR who was in the top ten for yards, ypc, & TDs. Which should be the player selected to be cut?

How about an idea where there is an owners poll to select the players to be cut? And those cut players go into the late FA period, which would make the late FA period a lot more interesting. The top teams that those players were cut from would not be participating in the late FA period. The primary intent of all this is to increase the competitive balance in the league and make it more challenging for LC's and Div winners to repeat season after season. It will also help new owners that have taken over teams that did not have a good allocation draft. I prefer having more close and competitive games to having a lot of blow-outs, and I would guess that's how most of the other owners in the league would prefer to have it.
Last edited at 10/26/2017 11:20 am

By raidergreg69
10/26/2017 6:24 pm
I get the trying for competitive balance but still not sure I like forcing drops on people. Every solution seems like it would be a pain in the **** for Grandad to track. Is there a way to reduce the salary cap for just a handful of teams?

What about forfeiting draft picks instead? Make the LC lose a 1st round pick (and giving it to the worst team), the other 3 final 4 teams a 2nd rounder(awarding them to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th worst teams) and all other playoff teams lose a 3rd (picks can either go to teams picking 5th - 12th, or give the bottom 4 teams more picks).

If I am in a position like this, I think I would rather give up a draft pick than a player I "developed".

By Pernbronze
10/26/2017 7:56 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
I get the trying for competitive balance but still not sure I like forcing drops on people. Every solution seems like it would be a pain in the **** for Grandad to track. Is there a way to reduce the salary cap for just a handful of teams?

What about forfeiting draft picks instead? Make the LC lose a 1st round pick (and giving it to the worst team), the other 3 final 4 teams a 2nd rounder(awarding them to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th worst teams) and all other playoff teams lose a 3rd (picks can either go to teams picking 5th - 12th, or give the bottom 4 teams more picks).

If I am in a position like this, I think I would rather give up a draft pick than a player I "developed".

I agree dropping players is too much controversy makes more sense to trade picks, like you said. And do the trade at start of FA. This makes sure they have a pick (even if it is 3 years away) to trade. And they should trade their most recent version of the pick required.