League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Ptera sal cap problem

By GrandadB - League Admin
12/06/2017 6:54 pm
For those of you who follow the forum and posts, you are aware of the situation and predicament that the Pteradacdyls are in, besides being the hardest team name to type. Am happy that we had a new owner step up and take on the challenge of dealing with the teams extreme low sal cap. Wolveraider has done a nice job right off the start, improving the room under cap to 2.8 mill from the paltry $20k.

I'm not an expert or very good with how the salary cap works in relation to current vs end of season and all. Ive never let salary cap prevent me from either re-signing key players or acquiring free agents, I would make more room by cutting overpaid subs. On the other hand, I have not faced basically a zero sal cap room when taking over a team. So, if there are any suggestions and/or advice that you can post that will help Wolve with the salary problem, if would be greatly appreciated and a benefit to all. Having a strong, competitive league with more knowledgeable owners is worth helping to make happen and support.

The only concern that I have about the Ptero's salary cap issue is that it would cause Wolve to lose valuable or high-rated starters to the FA period at the end of season that he would normally re-sign with a more average sal cap room structure. So, if nothing else, we could have a list of those players that he could have one or two sims to resign them before they are -eligible for any other teams to bid on, as one option. The number of key player re-signs would probably be 5 or less, if this is going to be done, would ask Wolve for a list and require a minimum contract level. I dont know what caused the severe cap problem without taking a detailed look at the transaction record. Seeing as how this is a league in it's second year, this is the first season of re-negotiating player contracts. My best guess is that the dreaded Re-neg Wizard was used to do the new contracts with the players that were in last year of existing contract early in the season.
Last edited at 12/06/2017 6:58 pm

By straw18
12/06/2017 8:25 pm
" we could have a list of those players that he could
have one or two sims to resign them before they are
eligible for any other teams to bid on, as one option"

i think this is a good option !

By Wolveraider
12/07/2017 10:07 am
I read a post somewhere at sometime in some league that I don't recall.

That (and I may be wrong here) that if you signed a player/s the day before the salary cap went up for the new season, that the players would be signed to their contracts even though they were over the old cap.

Does that make sense to anyone and/or do you know if that would work? Or has anyone done that before?

thanks

By raidergreg69
12/07/2017 6:16 pm
Wolveraider wrote:

That (and I may be wrong here) that if you signed a player/s the day before the salary cap went up for the new season, that the players would be signed to their contracts even though they were over the old cap.

Does that make sense to anyone and/or do you know if that would work? Or has anyone done that before?

thanks

The post was in the USFL league I believe. I haven't tried it, but the person who posted that did.

By Pernbronze
12/07/2017 6:41 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Wolveraider wrote:

thanks

The post was in the USFL league I believe. I haven't tried it, but the person who posted that did.

Yep. Well it gives you the chance just like always there is the rare chance of rejection. Also can't the league owner clear any cap penalties so they can release and sign players so their salary cap is more manageable?

By GrandadB - League Admin
12/08/2017 9:49 am
If there is a way for the league admin to do that, I dont see it. I double checked the league admin edits, and they are pretty general, nothing relative to roster & salary cap.

By Wolveraider
12/08/2017 10:44 am
Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated.

By Pernbronze
12/10/2017 11:35 pm
GrandadB wrote:
If there is a way for the league admin to do that, I dont see it. I double checked the league admin edits, and they are pretty general, nothing relative to roster & salary cap.

Ask JBD. I know he has done it before. I just don't know if he granted that option to league admins as well.